Lock 5 is located in Wellington at the entrance to Grand Lake. It is the only lock on the Shubenacadie Canal that has been fully restored to its operational condition. Unfortunately, it is not currently in use, since environmental concerns prevented water from being rerouted into the lock.
Lock 5 was originally constructed in 1828 as part of the first construction period of the Shubenacadie Canal, using granite from a quarry on the west side of Fletchers Lake. It was substantially rebuilt around 1856 during the second construction period. While Lock 5 was in operation in the 1860s, a dam was placed in the stream to the east of the lock, raising the water level sufficiently high to allow boats to enter the upper end of the lock. The lock now sits at the heart of a 14-acre public park that features a boat launch site and opportunities for other recreational activities.
The restoration of Lock 5 took place in 1991. It was designated as a provincially registered historic property in 1996. For more information about Lock 5’s heritage status, visit its listing on the Canada’s Historic Places website (external link).