It is important to be aware that the people we are identifying in these brief articles were involved in the first version of the Canal (1826-1831) and while much of their work was made use of in the second and successful construction period (1856-1861) it is not likely many, if any, of these craftsmen took part. However, features of their work were included in the second version and thus their craftsmanship can still be seen. For example Lock 1 (as seen in the photo above) at the South end of Lake Banook made use of the granite stones which, we believe, were used in the first lock and the same is true of the east wall of Lock 2 in the Cut just beyond Lake Micmac.
When Canal construction ceased in 1831 some of the workers then got involved in other projects in the area. For example a few were hired to build what is now known as Henry House on Barrington St. in Halifax as well as a number of other stone buildings of the time. We don’t know if these specific people were among them but you may recognize the names of one of the stone masons: Timothy Common, James Conly, John Flavy and Phil Martin. If these do ring a bell, please contact us as we would very much like to find out more about them.