Work began today on the map wall replacement at the Fairbanks Centre. This is the first phase of a project to modernize the interpretive displays.
Recently SCC hired Clintar Landscape Management to stabile erosion at Lock 4. This work involved placement of lock stones that had been piled in the lock a few years ago. Equipment has changed since then and an excavator with a thumb attachment was small enough and powerful enough to get into the lock and grab the stones for stacking.
The work uncovered many more lock stones, some of which had mason’s marks as well as specially shaped quoin stones for the lock gates. The results of the work was stabilized lock walls and a much improved look towards Lake Fletcher. See the before and after photos below.
The Sullivan's Pond geese are enjoying the beautiful fall weather. In the background you can see one of the two navigational markers used during the time that the canal was in operation. These round stone markers in Sullivan's Pond were built by Scottish and Irish stone masons in 1831. They mark the entrance to the first lock in the canal system located at the bottom of Lake Banook. Visit Building the Canal to find out more.